UP-DO’s and UP-DONT’S
• Contrary to popular belief, freshly cleaned hair is not always the best. If your hair tends to be oil rich, you may want to wash it the morning of. If you can make it work, a day before washing would be preferred. Hair can be very slippery when it is freshly clean and a few hours of “dirtiness” is better for us.
• Regardless of when you choose to wash your hair, it is essential that it is 100% dry when it is your scheduled time to have a style put in place. This is super important, and 99% of the time when bridal party or prom group’s services are running behind, it is because someone shows up with wet hair. Don’t be THAT GIRL. 🙂
• If you need to have product in to keep your hair looking presentable, we can definitely work things out. What you want to avoid is any product that is used specifically for shine. (spray on shine, glossing drops etc.) These products can make the hair slippery, or even worse, cause burning or singeing of the hair when tools are used. We DON’T want that. There is a video circulating on YouTube currently of some poor kid who did this, while shooting a hair styling demo video. Yikes. So remember- product-is ok, but avoid the above. If you have product specific questions, please feel free to ask away!
• We will be using a lot of product to create your styles. All product used will be of professional grade, which means water soluble and easily washed out.
• Our team would be happy to take suggestion on a overall updo image. We are all creative people and do very well coming up with trendy/modern styles, but would be open to suggestion as well. If you have ideas or something specific that you would like us to do.. pictures make great “tools of reference”. The more you have, the clearer your vision. Perhaps you will find segments of a few different styles you would like to incorporate. That is just fine too. But, please be advised.. everyone’s hair is unique. From texture, to length, to density, to hairline. Not all up-do styles work for every person. We will definitely communicate with you to achieve a vision that works for YOUR hair.
• After the par-tay is over, it is likely that you will end the day with backcombing and lots of bobby pins to take out way late in the evening. Here are some rules of thumb, which will keep you from damaging your hair, and make it easier for you to comb out. Start by removing the pins; outermost to innermost. Then, gently begin brushing your hair, starting at the ends, and with each brush stroke, work your way closer to the scalp. Work in sections if need be. The last thing you want to do is start at the base of your hair and comb down. This will make any backcombing knots even tighter. DO try to comb it out before jumping in the shower. You’ll thank me later.
• In the event that you have a favorite foundation or concealer that gives you the “perfect coverage”, feel free to bring it along. In any event, please arrive with a clean, and moisturized face. Our artists will apply your foundation, and make it picture perfect, but you bringing these “basics” which give you your preferred tone and coverage will set us up for success. Additionally, if you shed a few tears, you will have your own items handy for touch ups. 🙂
• If you have any other color/item which you would like us to incorporate, please feel free to bring it along. This includes lipstick.
• If tears are generally a given at special events, you may want to think twice before requesting waterproof mascara. Often times, the mess waterproof mascara leaves behind after crying has even MORE staying power on your cheeks and under your eyes than Non-waterproof. If you are the crier in the bunch, I would instead suggest a non-water proof variety, and to keep one in your purse for touch up if need be. Oh, and don’t forget to pack the tissues!
• Your artist will work with you individually to ensure that your make-up is “photo” ready. Sometimes, this requires more makeup than your usual night out, so be prepared. If you are a person who prefers minimal makeup, please let your artist know and they would be happy to work with you to give you a look which will be picture perfect, but also keep you comfortable in your own skin.
Thank you for including our salon as a part of your special event preparation!!